The aim of this learning programme is to support all prescribers and trainee prescribers to safely and effectively assess, prescribe for and review adult patients requiring IV fluids.
NICE CG 174 recommends that hospitals establish systems to ensure that all health care professionals involved in prescribing IV fluids are trained in the principles covered in the guideline. This online learning programme provides learning on all these principles, which will take approximately two hours.
You can undertake this learning in more than one session if required. The tool will resume where you left off.
After completing this learning programme you should be able to:
- Apply current NICE guidance on IV fluid therapy in adults to optimise patient outcomes
- Assess a patient’s fluid status and whether IV fluids are indicated
- Identify a patient’s fluid and electrolyte requirement considering the 5Rs listed in the NICE guidance
- Highlight that patient’s potential risk of complications of IV fluid therapy
- Construct a comprehensive IV fluid management plan, including details of fluid type and duration of therapy, and communicate and agree the plan with the patient and/ or carer
- Prescribe appropriate IV fluids safely and accurately (with knowledge of availability and content)
- Review the need for continued IV fluids and stop when no longer required
- Recognise, manage and report critical incidents related to IV fluid therapy.